Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A Housewife Versus a Career

 I am in no way downplaying anyone else's chosen career, but I would like to share some sentiments based on a journal entry I wrote on February 26, 2013.

I heard from my dear child today, "I could never be a housewife. It's good for you and all, but I am having a career."

A "career" verses a "housewife?" First of all, what in the world is a "housewife?" It sounds like something you'd wipe your feet on as you walk in the front door. Or something that belongs in the same family as the dish-rag. Whatever it is, it has little or nothing to do with how I spent my day today.

I woke up at 6:20 AM, got up on the 2nd or third alarm at 6:27 AM. Woke the children so we could all gather around the piano to sing "I'm Trying to be Like Jesus." We then read scriptures while eating wheat squares, Raisin Bran, and Corn Flakes with dried strawberries. This was actually after we knelt together in prayer. Gary asked me to pray this morning. It was nothing but a gratitude prayer- gratitude for my good husband, for each one of my dear children and grandchildren, for the gospel of Jesus Christ in my life, and so many more things, but mostly that we could be alive during the greatest time in all the history of the world. :)

I then read my scriptures, had couple scripture with Gary (after kissing each head before they walked it out the door), then took a thirty minute cuddle nap with Gary. We had both been up 'til midnight last night getting some internet posts written up for my sister's company. We got up. Gary continued writing the posts while I cleaned up the house to get it ready for preschool. I taught preschool for two hours. I then ate and talked to Gary and Rebecca. Rebecca then took me on a walk/run to start my training for a marathon (yup, life's goal).

After lunch I went visiting teaching. I then taught piano lessons to two of my children before going to a track meeting for "Jay" and "Tine." I came home and rallied the troops to clean a very bombed looking kitchen. I then taught another piano lesson. Michael, Tine, and Sir Al all had productive piano lessons. Caleb helped Gar downstairs, while I listened to "Jauco" read.

Finally it was time for evening prayer, and we put the children to bed.

This was all in-between talking to Sarah on the phone, texting Dad, chatting with children, complimenting Gary's work on the basement, making him food, and laying out a dream preschool room.

A housewife? Who would want to be a housewife? Yuck! But a homemaker? That's what I want to be! A teacher? Definitely! A friend? Oh, yeah! What a great life! I have the career of all careers!
   

2 comments:

  1. Wow! So many things to do in one day. I'm sure glad my schedule isn't as big as yours. Thanks for everything that you do, Mom. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paraphrasing Sister Pat Holland, who is paraphrasing George MacDonald from Creation in Christ (that's a lot of paraphrasing!): "{In giving to others never} shall a woman lose the consciousness of {her own} well-being. Far deeper and more complete, God and her neighbor {family, especially children} will flash it back upon her - pure as life. No more will she agonize to generate it in the light of her own decadence. For she shall know the glory of her own being in the light if God and of her sisters {and brothers}." So 'sacrifice' of the position and power of the recognition of the world is actually more empowering, more ennobling, more in our own self-interest, even, than we can really see! Thank you for sharing. It is inspiring to see how we can maximum even the briefest moments of time to do the most good and maximize our influence. And it all gets reflected back to us, like Sis. Holland paraphrased!
    Erika

    ReplyDelete