Saturday, August 17, 2013

Living on a Dime

I think the best way to save money is just not to spend it. :) That sounds easy and all, but there are some things that are necessary to buy and some things that, as a culture, we deem as necessary. Here are a few ways I have saved money this year.


Library fines
(Who me? Ummm......yeah, the librarians just count on it.)
I pay my library fines by finding fifty cent to $1.00 (no more ever!) movies at yard sales. The librarian will take them in exchange for my humungous fines.

Groceries
I buy groceries at Walmart where I can price match. Before my Walmart price matching frenzies, I use to shop at Maceys. I loved Maceys. I was in Maceys last night and was amazed at how expensive everything seemed to be.
See http://corkyceran.blogspot.com/2013/05/grocery-shopping-at-half-price.html

Gifts
I buy birthday and Christmas gifts at garage sales, on sale, and at second hand stores. I buy them when I find them so my closet is always off limits because that's where I keep my treasures. I also keep in mind the things that are coming. We have a gift exchange at Christmas time; we have an ugly sweater contest in December; and we have extended family birthday parties once a month. There are always friends and family members having babies. Weddings are just around the corner. I keep my eyes peeled for gifts that look new and are something I wouldn't be ashamed of giving. I find so many things. For example, I found a  newlywed book written by Dr. Lund. He's a leading counselor on family issues. His ideas are great, and his stories are interesting and fun to read. It's a great wedding gift, and it was only fifty cents! For more examples see
http://corkyceran.blogspot.com/2013/05/an-example-of-my-garage-sale-deals.html and http://corkyceran.blogspot.com/2013/05/christmas-shopping-in-may-on-tight.html.


School Clothes
Yes, it's that time again, and I have 5 K-12 students this year. I mentioned the other day that as soon as my children's room were clean, I would pull out their school clothes. "What? We have school clothes?" Sure, we do. I have been stacking them on the top shelf of my closet, in order of age, for months now. Are they new? Not most of them, but they sure are nice. AND they were cheap! Again, I've been watching for great deals throughout the year. I was tempted many times to pull them down and give them to the children, but I kept in mind the day they would be so excited to have "new" clothes for the new school year.
There are still things for each child I need to buy. They all need socks and underwear, most of them still need shoes, and my six foot 145 pound Michael is not an easy one to find pants for, so I'll be having to find a tall and slim store for that one! :)

2 comments:

  1. I love this post, I especially like the Library fines idea! You are such an amazing woman and you have been such an inspiration to me over the years. Thank you so much for just being you!! Oh and tell Micheal I feel his pain, that was me all of my life. The best places for me to buy tall clothing with out spending an arm and a leg have been Old Navy (always from the clearance section and always with a coupon on top of that) and Kohls ( from the clearance and with a coupon). I don't know if the boys clothes work the same, but watch the inseam length, I have purchased so called talls before and they were just the same inseam as most regulars. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words.
    I don't have any luck at Kohls for Michael's size, but this year I ended up finding his special size on ebay. I was so excited to get his size AND get a great deal. I also found him a perfect fit at Ross. Ross is such a random store, so I was surprised, but oh! so pleased! I got a great deal at Ross, too. I haven't tried Old Navy for him. That's a great idea. I wonder if they still have their guarantee on pants. I know it use to be that if they ever wore out, they replaced them with a new pair. AWESOME!!!! (Especially with five sons!)

    ReplyDelete