Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A Letter from Our Son



RED LETTER DAY!

"Dear Mom and Dad
Thank-you for adopting me. I had a wonderfull time with you. You're great parents and wonderfull people. Thank-you for keeping me safe. And trying to keep me happy. Thanks a lot.
your son
Alex"

Photo
PhotoI can't begin to tell you what this letter meant to Gary and me. It came about a year and a half after we brought our three children home from Ukraine. Those days have been filled with incredible ups and downs that only parents who have adopted older children from that part of the world can even imagine. The dynamics of our lives have changed dramatically, and I would never go back to how life was "before" this adventure started. I look at each of my children at different times and can't imagine life without any of them. I don't WANT to imagine life without them! Each person brings their own challenges with them; they also bring their own unique gifts to build and strengthen our family as a whole.

One day as I was having a  particularly difficult day with Alex, I felt so strongly that I was experiencing this specific time for my benefit, not his. This was a time for me to learn, grow, and develop. It is a kind Father in Heaven who brings people together to benefit from one another. I am not here to "save" Alex, only our Savior Jesus Christ can do that. I am here to help him, and he is here to help me. That's what being a family is all about.

It's wonderful to be part of a family, no matter how it was brought together.

2 comments:

  1. Corrine,this is such a beautiful blog.I just read it & it's touched my heart!Everything he(Alex)said is the truth.I believe what was said is coming from his heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you really look at the message, it was quite simple. But it managed to tug at my heartstrings; I don't deny. :') I'm glad he didn't lose his candidness as a child despite what he might've been through. Alex is such a sweet child. Both of your are lucky to find each other. :)) Shandra@Giving Birth To Hope

    ReplyDelete